topbella

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The History of Father's Day, Marvina Stedge

The History of Father's Day

Marvina Stedge
June 15, 2012
 
We always celebrate father’s day, but did you ever wonder how it even got started? Well as I was trying to figure out what to write…I was researching fathers day and I found this: Well here's an article that might help:
  Sonora Dodd, of Washington, first had the idea of a "father's day." She thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909.

Sonora wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. Smart, who was a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife died while giving birth to their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state.

After Sonora became an adult she realized the selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.

President Calvin Coolidge, in 1924, supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Then in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.
Now I mean I can’t just go without including this verse: 1 Corinthians 4:14-17 says:  “I am writing this not to shame you but to warn you as my dear children. Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.Therefore I urge you to imitate me. For this reason I have sent to you Timothy, my son whom I love, who is faithful in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church.
Sonora realized that her father did what he could to help raise them, and she wanted a day that recognized fathers for all the hard work they really do.  God wants that too. He doesn’t want to scold you; He doesn’t find the joy in scolding you, He finds the joy in raising you up and helping you become what He knows you can become.  He wants to be your father, when you feel like you don’t have a father.  He wants to share your joys with you, your problems, your excitements, everything. So let Him be that father for you, especially when things with your own father are not going so well.
 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Contributors

Bible Gateway Blogger Grid member badge