topbella

Friday, June 20, 2014

Change


Change
 By Sarah K.


Change.  All are familiar with this word. Change makes up our lives.  There are beginnings. And there are endings.  People come…and go. Relationships blossom, and then fade.  Pages turn into different chapters of our lives.  For many, including myself, change is a frightening thing at first glance. Sometimes it seems like there are too many good-byes to say, too many memories from the past that was so recently the present.
                                                             
But still, change happens.
For Christians, we don’t have to fear change. Without God, it would seem like our lives are out of control at times. But we don’t have to fear that. For one, God walk with us through all the changes in our lives, whether good or bad: “And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20b).  But even more than that, Scripture tells us that God Himself brings change into our lives… for our good.
                                                                    
What?
If you’re anything like me, most of the time, change doesn’t seem to be that great for us. It certainly doesn’t always leave us with warm, fuzzy feelings inside.  Take this year, for example. My school, a very small private Christian school, is changing.  Shrinking, actually. The relationships I had with the teachers? Ending, as most of them leave.  My precious friendships? Two of my friends are leaving for a new school.  These are all changes, but they leave you hurting, and asking –begging – God, why?  How is the ending of amazing friendships and relationships a good thing? Usually, only God knows exactly why such changes are best for us, but He promises that they are: “And we know that in ALL THINGS God works for the GOOD of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28, emphasis added). 

But still.
Who hasn’t struggled with change? Sometimes, it’s a long time coming, and then hits us hard and fast. Other times, change seems to happen every time you turn around.  Often, I find myself wondering whether God has decided to kick back, relax, and watch change put my life all in a whirl.  Maybe He decided I was being difficult to love, and wanted to give me a little wake-up call.  Once again, His promises assure me that that’s not the case. “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angels nor demons, neither the PRESENT nor the FUTURE, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor ANYTHING ELSE IN ALL CREATION, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  (Romans 8:37-39, emphasis added).

 What does that mean for my future?
It means that life will still be full of change. Down here on this sin-filled world, change is how life is going to go. Good-byes, moving on’s, see you later’s, this is how it’s going to be’s,  that’s in the past’s, suck it up and move forward’s….all will happen again and again….and again. But praise our Father in Heaven! We have hope! He promises us, that our future is certain, and will be wonderful; “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and He Himself will be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more DEATH or MOURNING or CRYING or PAIN, for the old order of things has passed away.”  (Revelation21: 3-4, emphasis added.  No more painful good-byes or mournful regrets…no more change that leaves us hurting inside, and wishing things were different. All things will be made new! Even the way life was before will itself be changed.

In the end, God uses change to change us.
Scripture says we are being refined like gold…by fire. That doesn’t mean no pain in life. So, though I will be the first to admit that change often hurts, God’s using it to change us to be more like Him. That way, when we get to heaven, we’ll be more than ready to let Him change things for the last time, to make a new heaven and new earth, where the “old order of things has passed away”. The words of the prophet Jeremiah (who saw a whole lot of difficult changes for Israel) still ring true: “For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you.” (Jeremiah 29:11-12b)

4 comments :

Rebekah said...

Good reminder, it's just hard to believe sometimes :)

Sarah Phillips said...

Thanks for this, Sarah! :) I really needed it!

Anonymous said...

Great article! Change is definitely something that's hard to deal with, but it's also inevitable. I can look back on my life and thank God for change, even though at the time I wasn't very appreciative. As Christians, we have to also remember that our ways aren't His ways and our thoughts aren't His thoughts. As soon as we get "comfortable", rest assured change is coming because that's how God continues to push us and shape us into who He's called us to be. Nice reminder :)

Unknown said...

Thank you all...it was my pleasure

Post a Comment

Contributors

Bible Gateway Blogger Grid member badge