topbella

Friday, November 7, 2014

Not my Words


Not my Words

By Sarah K.


Not my words
But God’s words
Not my thoughts:
But His
He’s the one who makes them -
I’m the one with a pencil.


      I wrote this a long time ago, (at least it feels like it), when I first began to realize that I enjoyed writing.  Coming back to it today, I want to recover the attitude I had.

These days, it’s all too easy to simply take the credit that others give me…or I give myself.  All too often I find myself simply settling for a nice, warm feeling of satisfaction when I accomplish something. “I’m pretty good,” I think smugly to myself.  “I never knew I had such good ideas.”

                                                                   Wrong!

Every time we accomplish something, the glory goes to God. Yes, I’ve done things I can be proud of. A little of bit of pride in a job well done isn’t sinful in small amounts. And yes, I have talents. However, it is all too easy to forget that God is the one that “created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb” (Psalm 139:13).  That means that every good thing we do, God created for us to do: “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10.

Ultimately, everything we do is to bring glory to God. He created us, and saved us to be His children expressly for this purpose. That may sound selfish of God on the surface, but if we dig deeper, we’ll realize that we are most content, most at peace, and most joy -filled when we are honoring our Lord. Why wouldn’t we be? We were created for that purpose!

At the end of the day, I need to remember that this show isn’t about me. I, as a believer, am a part in a play: a piece of the puzzle.  God, in His great love, created each of us uniquely to be his vessels and be reflections of His light in a broken world. “...so that you may become blameless and pure, ‘children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.’ Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.” No one can do it like I do it. And God wants it that way.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Contributors

Bible Gateway Blogger Grid member badge