topbella

Friday, May 30, 2014

Beauty From God - By Sarah P.



Beauty From God 


By Sarah P.

My face is red.
As I'm writing this, I have a burn. My family and I went to the beach this morning, and then I used some cleansers on my face: on top of a sunburn. The result was this giant, red, welt-looking burn across my face. I don't know if you've ever had one of these, but they are really unattractive. If someone was to tell me, "Sarah, you look beautiful today!" I wouldn't take them seriously. I feel red, tired, and ugly. I feel like my burn is ruining my face. I feel like I can't even go out in public! Don't we all have times like that? Your hair is having a bad day, you can't find your favorite shirt... the list goes on and on. These times are definitely stressing. They can seem overwhelming. Yet today I came across this Bible verse:

"For it was You who created my inward parts; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well." -Psalm 139:13-14, HCSB

The Bible says over and over again that God's creation is beautiful. That fact doesn't change on days when we don't feel pretty. The Bible doesn't tell us, "You'll be beautiful if you lose about ten pounds, wear this brand of makeup, and dye your hair a different color." Actually, the Bible tells us,

"...God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." (Genesis 1:27, NLT)

The truth is that God has made each and every one of us, and we are beautiful. We were made in His image. Don't compare yourself to anyone's standards except God's. You don't have to be skinnier or taller or have bigger eyes and a clearer complexion to be beautiful. You are already beautiful; you are God's own masterpiece.

"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus..." (Ephesians 2:10, NLT)

Now, as I write this conclusion two days later, I can tell you that I’m okay. My burn is history. I'm not even red anymore! You know what? On the first day I wrote, I did
venture outside of my room. I went to Wal-Mart with my family and then out for ice cream. No one stared at me. No one laughed or pointed at my face. I was tomato red and yet still managed to have pleasant interactions with several people. Why was that possible? Could those people somehow see beyond my red face when I thought it was the end of the world? I think the answer is yes. Do you wonder why it works like that? Here’s the truth: beauty is more than the outside. Although we are beautiful on the outside, as Christian young women we are beautiful on the inside. The Spirit of God is living in us, and He gives us inner beauty. Jesus should shine through us constantly.

"You are the light of the world- like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden." (Matthew 5:14, NLT)

The next time you have a bad day; remember that this light is shining through you. Jesus is in your heart! What could be more beautiful than that?

2 comments :

Rebekah said...

That's a really....beautiful devo!

Sarah Phillips said...

Thanks, Rebekah! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Post a Comment

Contributors

Bible Gateway Blogger Grid member badge